Recipients of 2021 Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Awards announced
Seven architectural projects received Excellence in Conservation Awards.
The 2021 recipients of the Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Awards were recognized at a virtual ceremony on February 24, 2022 by the Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, and John Ecker, Chair of the Ontario Heritage Trust. The awards celebrate projects and individuals who made exceptional contributions to heritage conservation in Ontario in 2021.
Seven projects received Excellence in Conservation Awards, representing the diversity of approaches to heritage conservation in Ontario. The awarded projects include:
- The Adaptive Reuse of the F.M. Woods Waterworks Building, Guelph, by Baird Sampson Neuert Architects
- The Adaptive Reuse of the Niagara Parks Power Station by Niagara Parks by The Ventin Group, Forrec and Stantec
- The Revitalization of the Oculus Pavilion, Toronto, by Giaimo
- The Restoration and Accessibility Improvements at University College, Toronto, by Kohn Shnier Architects and ERA Architects
- The Remnants of Mid-Century Toronto Photobook by Spacing and Vik Pahwa
- The Documentary North Was Our Canaan: Exploring Sandwich Town’s Underground Railroad History
- The Restoration of Parish Hall, Prescott, by Daniel and Bonita Slunder
The City of Toronto’s Awakenings Program received a Community Leadership for “exemplary leadership, commitment, creativity, positive impact and demonstrations of best practices in conservation.”
“Awakenings is a series of art projects by Black, Indigenous and artists of colour (BIPOC), centred at City of Toronto museum sites. The series is part of the City of Toronto’s efforts to address anti-Black racism, developed when Toronto history museums recognized the need to reassess the way in which it develops, delivers and evaluates its programming. The series will be released over the next couple of years,” says the organization.
To visit the full list of recipients and for more information on projects, visit: https://www.heritagetrust.on.ca/en/pages/programs/recognition-programs/2021-recipients