New facilities for Royal Conservatory of Music.
Marianne McKenna of Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects of Toronto will lead the design a new Performance and Learning Centre and restore McMaster Hall, both for the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto. The new design includes a 1,000 seat concert hall and 100,000 square feet of academic and performance space including 60 state-of-the-art practice and teaching studios, a multipurpose rehearsal hall, fully wired classrooms, a comprehensive library and a new-media and broadcast centre. the latter replaces the east wing of McMaster Hall, added to the main 19th century structure in 1909. The restoration of McMaster Hall includes exterior restoration and life safety upgrades, and in a latter phase the restoration of the interior to its original grandeur. The renovation will provide learning centres for the RCM Community School and internationally competitive, state-of-the-art facilities for students pursuing professional music careers. Acoustics are to be provided by Sound Space Design Ltd with Aercoustics and Engineering Harmonics of London, UK. The original architects of the 1881 McMaster Hall were the Toronto firm of Langley, Langley and Burke, specialists in church architecture. The total budget for both the current restoration and the new Centre is $50 million, $20 million of which has been provided by the federal and provincial governments. Contruction begins in June 2004 with the completion expected in September, 2006.