Morrison Pavilion at University of Toronto Complete
The largest academic science and medicine library in Canada, the Gerstein Science Information Centre at the University of Toronto, has doubled the size of study space for students with its new plan, designed by Diamond and Schmitt Architects Inc. Forty per cent more stack space and 30 per cent more study space with only an 8 per cent increase in building footprint have been gained. The 32,000 square foot Morrison Pavilion this month with 650 additional study spaces in the library. The five-storey pavilion is an addition to the Sigmund Samuel Library comprised of the University’s first library, built in 1893 and 1912 and expanded in the 1950s. The pavilion uses modern frit glazing on three sides, overlooking a landscaped court with views of the Provincial Legislature and Queen’s Park. The building has a standing seam copper roof and is clad in Owen Sound limestone to match the heritage stone architecture of nearby University College, Hart House, and the Ontario Legislative Assembly.