James W. Strutt exhibition at Carleton University
Carleton University’s School of Architecture will be holding a public exhibition of the work of James W. Strutt, Architect, Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, and recipient of the Order of Da Vinci. The exhibition runs from January 25 to March 31, 2006 at the David Azrieli Gallery, 4th Floor of the Azrieli Pavillion.
James (Jim) W. Strutt is a highly acclaimed Canadian architect, and his life’s work, spanning from 1951 to today, represents the exciting era of modern architecture within a specifically Canadian architectural context. His work includes significant government buildings, business and industrial complexes, religious institutions, as well as innovative examples of domestic housing. His entire architectural collection of works is now housed in the National Archives in Ottawa.
He has also won many awards and has had five of his projects designated as Heritage. For the first time in many years select pieces of his work will be exhibited in Ottawa before touring across Canada.
Strutt has contributed greatly to the advancement of architecture in Canada through research and innovative development of: environmentally integrated designs; structure and material explorations; and space-frame and weight-efficiency ratio explorations.
He has been a tireless advocate for his chosen profession through his leadership with the Ontario Association of Architects and The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, and a mentor to several generations of young architects through his contribution to academics as a professor and former director of the School of Architecture at Carleton University, and as a mentor to many intern architects just starting out in the profession.
For more information, please visit www.arch.carleton.ca/struttexhibition/