Jacques Carlu interiors restored at College Park
Under the direction of ERA Architects and WZMH Architects of Toronto, a two-year refurbishment to the seventh floor at the former Eaton’s on College Street in Toronto involved extensive restoration of the original (nickel-alloy) monal architectural metalwork and black vitrolite glass fittings. New floor coverings, soft furnishings and furniture were supplied in the original styles and the monochromatic palette of cream and taupe set against the silver and black glass and metal work. The Round Room’s murals painted by the architect’s wife Natacha Carlu were restored, along with the distinctive Lalique glass fountain in the room’s centre. Behind-the-scenes work included new sanitation, catering and climate-control installations, as well as state-of-the-art AV and wireless user computer networking facilities. Also, the Sky Room was created as a new facility of more contemporary character in space formerly occupied by part of the Round Room’s original kitchen Renamed in honour of their original architect, Jacques Carlu, the Art Moderne has been restored after languishing in a state of decay behind locked doors for some 25 years. Comprising the Margaret Eaton Auditorium, Round Room restaurant, the intimate Clipper Rooms, and the long Grand Foyer, these have been revitalised as closely as possible to their original 1930 style.
Operated by the Carlu Corporation, formed to manage the facility on a 30-year lease, The Carlu is available for business and social functions, ranging from conferences and trade shows to concerts, banquets, family events and private parties.