Canadian Architect


Image

A Conversation With Bruce
1000205805-1000288782


Designed in 1904 by the local firm of Gregg & Gregg Architects, 322 King Street West was one of the first heavy-industrial buildings constructed in Toronto's downtown core after the Great Fire of 1904. Initially built for the Eclipse Whitewear Company, the heavy wood floors were lined with industrial machinery that occupied the building for nearly 60 years. Purchased in 1969 by the Toronto architectural firm of Diamond & Myers, the building was converted into commercial offices. Floors and walls were cleaned and sandblasted, windows replaced and air conditioning installed, providing an ideal commercial office environment for professionals that included architects, graphic designers, dentists and engineers. The building was sold in 1987 to Mirvish enterprises. The same year, KPMB took over the space originally occupied by Barton Myers when he decided to move his practice to California. KPMB continues to occupy nearly two full floors within the structure. The building is now listed as a heritage property by the Toronto Historical Board and continues to be the site of KPMB's architectural production.