February 20 - February 23, 2018
Want to know about emerging ideas in digital fabrication, design and computation in architecture? Join the University of Calgary in an exploration of design concepts and rapid prototyping.
Symposium and registration details here. http://evds.ucalgary.ca/events/taylorx-symposium
For 10 years, the Faculty of Environmental Design and the Laboratory for Integrative Design have been bringing in award-winning architects, artists and makers for the Taylor Visiting Lectureship to explore how innovation and research can inform design practices across scales. To celebrate the 10-year anniversary of this lectureship, we are bringing back past Taylor lecturers for a week!
We think this symposium will be fascinating to designers, artists and makers.
Members of Alberta Association of Architects
All sessions of the event are eligible for AAA learning units. You can get as many as 18 for the whole event.
Nine captivating keynotes
- Dana Cupkova holds Assistant Professorship at the Carnegie Mellon School of Architecture and is a co-founder and principal of EPIPHYTE Lab, an architectural design and research collaborative that engages the built environment at the intersection of ecology, thermodynamics, computationally driven processes, and material logic.
- Alvin Huang, Founder and Design Principal of Synthesis Design + Architecture and Associate Professor at the USC School of Architecture, is an award-winning architect, designer, and educator specializing in the integrated application of material performance, emergent design technologies and digital fabrication in contemporary architectural practice. His work spans all scales ranging from hi-rise towers and mixed-use developments to temporary pavilions and bespoke furnishings.
- Marc Fournes is an architect specializing in computational design and digital fabrication, and inventor of “Structural Stripes”, a building system by which thousands of custom-designed parts from complex, self-supporting curvilinear surfaces. Fornes leads MARC FORNES / THEVERYMANY, a NYC-based studio.
- Mariana Ibañez is an architect in Argentina, and a newly appointed tenure-track faculty at the MIT School of Architecture and Planning, after 11 years at Harvard University. She is a principal at IBAÑEZ KIM, a genre-defiant design practice that works with future-forward, and existing technologies and media, to generate architecture, objects, and cities.
- Andrew Kudless is an architect based in San Francisco where he is an associate professor at the California College of the Arts. 2004, he founded Matsys, a design studio exploring the emergent relationships between architecture, engineering, biology, and computation.
- Drura Parrish, CEO and founder of MakeTime is a successful entrepreneur and thought leader in digital fabrication, design, and object based economics.
- Nick Puckett creates dynamic links between software, robotics, biological agents, chemical engineering, and material behaviours that generate new potentials for the design of intelligent environments. He has taught at the University of Kentucky, SCI-Arc, The Architectural Association, The University of Westminster, and The Royal College of Art.
- Tom Verebes has over two decades of experience in architectural practice, education and research. Tom is the founder and Creative Director of OCEAN.CN, a group of specialist design consultants based in Hong Kong, with links to Beijing, Shanghai and London. Spanning the professional scope of architecture and urbanism, OCEAN CN advanced expertise in computational design & manufacturing, visualisation and information communication.
- Joshua Vermillion is an assistant professor in the School of Architecture at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. His teaching and research focuses on architectural applications of computational design methods, digital fabrication tools, robotics and responsive systems, advanced materials, and other emerging technologies.
More information on all speakers here. https://integrativedesign.org/taylorx/keynote-speakers/
Tuesday Feb 20
10:30am–12pm: Session 01 Integrative Design Strategies
2pm–4pm: Session 02 Scale
6pm: Session 03 Keynotes Andrew Kudless, Mariana Ibañez
Wednesday Feb 21
10am–12pm: Session 04 Projects
2pm–4pm: Session 05 Object Creation Workshop – design and fabricate a parametric object to take home with you!
6pm: Session 06 Design Matters Lecture Dana Cupkova
Thursday Feb 22
11am–1pm: Lunchtime Q&A with Students
2pm–4pm: Session 07 Parcours (Stages and Trajectories)
6pm: Session 08 Keynotes Alvin Huang, Josh Vermillion
Friday Feb 23
10am–12pm: Session 09 Keynotes Tom Verebes, Drura Parrish
2pm–4pm: Session 10 Design Research to Research Practice Roundtable
6pm: Session 11 Keynotes Marc Fournes, Nick Puckett
8pm Reception and Exhibit Opening
Full schedule details here. https://integrativedesign.org/taylorx/events/
Event and registration details
Location: St. Louis Hotel, 430 8th Ave SE
Date: Tuesday, February 20 – Friday, February 23
Registration: Attendees are welcome to register for all four days or selected sessions. http://evds.ucalgary.ca/events/taylorx-symposium
Visit event's website