Deadline approaches to submit for three $5,000 scholarships
You could win a $5,000 scholarship by writing an essay describing the moment when you decided to become an architect. The submission deadline for this opportunity is April 26, 2019.
The RAIC International Prize Scholarships are three scholarships awarded in conjunction with the RAIC International Prize.
The RAIC International Prize Scholarships are open to students registered in a Canadian university architecture program in the 2018-2019 academic year and to students registered in 2018-2019 in the RAIC Syllabus Program.
Up to three scholarships, each of CAD $5,000 will be awarded.
The award of the scholarships will be based on individual student submissions in the form of an original essay, not to exceed 1,000 words in length, with illustrations that complement and clarify ideas explored in the text.
The essay topic explores the notion of origins and is based on the following question:
Please describe the moment—the circumstances, the nature of the event—when you decided to become an architect, or when you knew that your decision to become an architect was the right one. Your “moment” could be related to an encounter with a single building (like Arthur Erickson’s discovery of Taliesin West in an illustrated article in the August 1946 issue of Fortune Magazine), or with a place (like Le Corbusier’s visit to the Acropolis in 1911). Or it could be related to a series of experiences, discoveries and reflections that eventually led you into architecture.
Submissions will be evaluated on the applicant’s expression of vision and aspiration, and on the strength of personal conviction.
The jury members are:
- Elsa Lam, MRAIC, editor of Canadian Architect magazine;
- Dr. Anne Bordeleau, MRAIC, O’Donovan Director of the School of Architecture, University of Waterloo;
- Dr. Douglas MacLeod, FRAIC, Chair, RAIC Centre for Architecture at Athabasca University;
- André Perrotte, FIRAC, Partner, Saucier + Perrotte Architectes;
- Barry Sampson, FRAIC, Professor Emeritus, University of Toronto and Principal, Baird Sampson Neuert Architects;
- David Covo, FRAIC, Associate Professor, Peter Guo-hua Fu School of Architecture, McGill University.
Deadline for submissions is April 26, 2019.
The scholarships will be presented at a gala in Toronto on October 25, 2019.