April 11, 2018
by Canadian Architect
The Canadian Society of Landscape Architects (CSLA) announced the recipients of the Awards of Excellence. This year, 15 projects received a national award and one project, the Fort Garry Provincial Park by HTFC Planning and Design, was selected for the Jury’s Award of Excellence, given to one project per year which best demonstrates the CSLA’s vision (advancing the art, science and practice of landscape architecture).
These award-winning projects are preeminent examples of Canadian landscape architecture. They illustrate the range of
what landscape architects do and how landscape architects are helping to reshape our communities – defining the places we want to live, work and play.
- Winners were selected by a national jury of landscape architects. The principal criteria applied by the jurors were:
Demonstration of a deep understanding of the craft of landscape architecture and attention to composition and
- Demonstration of excellence in leadership, project management, breadth of work, new directions or new
- Innovation in concept, process, materials or implementation
- Promotion of the discipline amongst related professions, clients and the general public
- Demonstration of exemplary environmental and / or social awareness
National CSLA Award of Excellence:
Upper Fort Garry Provincial Park: HTFC Planning and Design
Upper Fort Garry park. Photo via CSLA
Upper Fort Garry offers a striking departure from standard heritage interpretation, embracing the ambiguity inherent in our historic records to fuel an approach to urban place-making that combines crowd-sourced content, grassroots programming, art and technology to honour the fort’s heritage and stimulate new conversations on the history being written today.
According to the Jury, Upper Fort Garry Provincial Park is an inspired recipe for drawing people in to an important piece of history. Little remained on this important site; it fell to the landscape architect to tell its story.
2018 CSLA Awards Winners
The Awards were presented at a gala on April 7.