July 20, 2006
by Canadian Architect
At 7:00pm on September 13, 2006, the new faade of the St. James United Church will be unveiled at 463 Ste-Catherine Street West in Montreal, Quebec.
Dating back to 1889, this house of worship was once the largest Methodist church in Canada seating as many as 2000 parishioners at a given time. It was classified as a Quebec Historical Monument in 1980 and as a National Historical Site of Canada in 1996. It has been virtually hidden from the street since 1927 when a three-storey commercial building was erected around it.
In 2004, the municipal and provincial governments joined forces in a public-private partnership with la Socit de dveloppement St. James and L.M. Sauv.
The first phase of this large scale project entails the demolition of the Mercantile Building enveloping the church, the restoration of the faade, the reconstruction of the square, the landscaping of gardens, and the lighting of the edifice’s exterior.
In 2005, the project was awarded the Prix Orange by Sauvons Montreal, which recognizes the quality of restoration work to historic landmarks in the city.
This much anticipated event will commence with a service of thanksgiving in the sanctuary followed by a celebratory concert featuring the People’s Gospel Choir of Montreal. The unveiling will close with a reception in the square.
Please RSVP before September 4, 2006 to [email protected]