September 15, 2015
by Canadian Architect
university of saskatchewan school of architecture initiative
The University of Saskatchewan is seeking an experienced and committed architectural academic who will bring vision, energy and leadership to the project of establishing a new school of architecture. Please note that the closing date for applications has been extended to September 29, 2015.
The Project Director will lead the initiative, and will design and implement a process to achieve five primary goals:
1. Definition of an academic program (or sequence of programs) leading to a professional Master of Architecture degree.
2. Identification of opportunities for mutually beneficial relationships and support between the proposed School of Architecture and existing related programs at the University of Saskatchewan, the University of Regina and Saskatchewan Polytechnic.
3. Development of support within the academic community at the University of Saskatchewan for the proposed School of Architecture.
4. Development of a project budget for capital and operating costs, along with a proposed project implementation schedule.
5. Working with the Office of University Advancement to develop a strategy for securing capital and operating funding, including the identification of potential funding sources.
The University of Saskatchewan, in collaboration with the Saskatchewan Association of Architects, is investigating the creation of a new school of architecture. This school will stimulate scholarly and professional innovation in architecture, and will serve as a as catalyst for the further development of a culture of design and creativity within the province of Saskatchewan. The goals of the proposed program include:
• The development of a distinctive curriculum reflecting a strong sense of place and relevance with respect to regional cultural and economic opportunities;
• Providing world-class education in the theory and practice of architecture, design and related creative and critical thought processes;
• The achievement and maintenance of professional accreditation through the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB);
• The establishment of an internationally recognized research centre. Building on existing strengths at the University of Saskatchewan and beyond, the school will foster collaborative, interdisciplinary research initiatives;
• The establishment of partnerships with the University of Regina and Saskatchewan Polytechnic to promote a rich and varied educational environment with flexible student pathways; and
• The creation of a forum for critical discourse on architecture and the built environment, in the Saskatchewan and Canadian contexts.
A series of studies and symposia have been undertaken in recent years, providing a strong case in favour of the proposed school. A detailed program and implementation plan must now be developed in order to pursue approval for the project at the university and provincial levels.
This is a term appointment for an anticipated duration of up to two years. Start date is negotiable. Residency in Saskatoon is not a requirement of the position, but the Project Director must spend sufficient time in Saskatoon to successfully achieve the expected outcomes and deliverables described herein.
Applicants are asked to submit a proposal, describing how they would approach the project and achieve the outcomes and deliverables outlined above. The terms of employment and the work schedule are flexible. The work may be undertaken personally, or by a team under the leadership of the applicant. The closing date for applications has been extended to September 29, 2015. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed.
The proposal should include:
1. A curriculum vitae of the applicant and proposed team members.
2. A portfolio of teaching and professional work.
3. A description of the process proposed by the applicant to achieve the outcomes and deliverables described in this Terms of Reference. This description should include: toles of any support staff and collaborators; budget for all work, including travel, and disbursements; terms of employment; and office space requirements.
4. Three (3) references with names, mailing and e-mail addresses, and phone numbers.
5. Reporting schedule.
6. Financial payment schedule.
Electronic submissions in PDF format are encouraged. If you are unable to apply via e-mail, or alternatively have large documents to send, please send your submission to:
Associate Dean Academic
College of Engineering
University of Saskatchewan
57 Campus Drive
SK S7N 5A9
All enquires should be directed to Bruce Sparling at firstname.lastname@example.org and +1 (306) 966-5366.
For more information, please view the PDF link below.
Arch School – Project Director – Position Profile – 9Sept15_Rev2