August 4, 2009
by Canadian Architect
Taking place from September 23 to October 2, 2009, The Roadshow: Architectural Landscapes of Canada is a series of linked, broad-based national events that focus architectural discourse in Canada at the level of the public, the profession, and the schools of architecture. Born in part from a persistent inability to define, The Roadshow is a rethinking of the traditional conception of a singular notion of “Canadian architecture.” Rather than creating an almost instantly outdated definition, The Roadshow seeks to explore a single moment in Canadian architecture. By attempting to collapse the vast distances between place, people and practice, The Roadshow creates the potential for a significant, if temporary, point of shared consciousness. Ultimately the goal of The Roadshow is to promote and facilitate an emergent and evolving discussion regarding contemporary architecture in Canada.
Beginning in Vancouver, The Roadshow brings together nine critical architects and designers from across Canada. This group will travel and lecture together, delivering rapid-fire public presentations of their work at eight Canadian schools of architecture. The Roadshow is conceived of as one tour/one event, with each venue building momentum for the next. At every stop, each of the nine architects and designers will have 10 minutes to present one project and articulate this project’s engagement within a consistent framework around which intentionality and meaning have emerged. The goal is to allow for a broadening of understanding of the points of confluence and difference between various forms of architectural practice in Canada.
The cross-country lecture schedule is as follows:
* Monday, September 23: School of Architecture + Landscape Architecture, University of British Columbia, Vancouver
* Tuesday, September 24: Faculty of Environmental Design, University of Calgary, Calgary
* Wednesday, September 25: Faculty of Architecture, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg
* Monday, September 28: John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design, University of Toronto, Toronto
* Tuesday, September 29: School of Architecture at Waterloo, Waterloo University, Cambridge
* Wednesday, September 30: Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism, Carleton University, Ottawa
* Thursday, October 1: School of Architecture, McGill University, Montreal
* Friday, October 2: School of Architecture, Dalhousie University, Halifax
All events are free and open to the public.
For more information, please visit http://the-roadshow.tumblr.com/