October 15, 2015
by Elsa Lam
The Little Trinity Church Annex by DTAH Architects Ltd. and ERA Architects Inc. won an Award of Excellence in this year’s Heritage Toronto Awards.
Heritage Toronto has announced the winners of its 2015 Awards. The honorees received their awards at a gala event on Tuesday, October 13 at Koerner Hall in Toronto.
The awards include the William Greer Architectural Conservation and Craftsmanship awards, recognizing owners who have undertaken projects to restore or adapt buildings or structures that have been in existence for 40 years or more, or are included on the City of Toronto’s Inventory of Heritage Properties. In addition to the quality of craftsmanship, appropriateness of materials, and the use of sound conservation principles, the jury considers how well the projects meet current needs while maintaining the integrity of the original design vision.
The winners in this category are:
AWARD OF EXCELLENCE (LARGE PROJECT)
Little Trinity Church Annex
403 King Street East
Commissioned by: Little Trinity Anglican Church
Architectural/Design Firms: DTAH Architects Ltd.; ERA Architects Inc.
Craftsperson/Contractor: Historic Restoration Inc.
This project redeveloped a row of derelict Georgian-style townhouses into a new administrative and meeting space for the church community. The mid-19th-century façades on King Street were restored, while the back of the heritage property was replaced with a new two-storey volume that maintained the original roof-line and east gable form of the building, while allowing a contemporary addition to emerge from the rear. The jury characterized this as a complex and extremely thoughtful and sensitive rehabilitation, restoration and adaptive reuse project. The jury also commended the integration of old with new: In addition to restoring the north-facing two-storey heritage brick façade, the contemporary new community space to the south and the landscaped yard creates a respectful balance between past and future.
AWARD OF MERIT (LARGE PROJECT)
The Munk School of Global Affairs
315 Bloor Street West
Commissioned by: University of Toronto
Architectural/Design Firms: KPMB Architects; ERA Architects Inc.
Craftspersons/Contractors: Crossey Engineering; Blackwell Bowick Partnership Ltd.
This project undertook an adaptive reuse of the 1909 Dominion Meteorological Building, and the adjacent Transit House to create expanded facilities for the Munk School. Conservation work included restoration of interior and exterior masonry, repair of the original windows and restoration of an existing heritage staircase. The jury praised the scale and quality of the meticulous conservation and restoration work, saying it will ensure that this robust Romanesque Revival style icon will continue to define the northern edge of the University of Toronto¹s downtown campus. The jury felt the understated south-facing glass and steel entrance addition is carefully balanced with the Miramichi sandstone mass of the main block, the clay tile roof and the four-storey round observation tower on the east side, and the one-storey Transit House on the west side. The jurors also said the landscaped and fenced entry forecourt along the south side of Bloor and the west side of Devonshire Place maintains the green urban setting for the school while successfully controlling access.
HONORABLE MENTION (LARGE PROJECT)
180 Shaw Street
Commissioned by: Toronto Artscape Inc.
Architectural/Design Firms: Teeple Architects Inc.; Goldsmith Borgal & Company Ltd.
Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration Ltd.; CPE Structural Consultants Ltd.
The 1914 Givins-Shaw Street Public School was transformed into a community arts and culture facility, with studios and exhibition space. Conservation work included restoration and stabilization of the deteriorated sandstone cornices and window sills, installation of replica windows, stabilization of structural steel columns, and preservation of interior features such as the grand central staircase. The jury appreciated the high quality stone restoration, replacement and replication required to stabilize the extensive masonry deterioration in sills, gable cornices and parapet. The jury noted that necessary further stabilization through structural steel columns, which were either stabilized or replaced as required, was also done, along with the addition of new windows which replicated the original windows on the front elevation. The jury also noted that the building still has its separate original girls’ and boys¹ entrances intact but that they now welcome everyone.
AWARD OF EXCELLENCE (SMALL PROJECT)
21 Dundas Square
Commissioned by: HNR Properties Ltd.
Architectural/Design Firm: ERA Architects Inc.
Craftspersons/Contractors: Clifford Restoration Ltd.; Heather and Little Ltd.; Stanley Doors
Part of the rehabilitation of the Hermant Building, this project recreated the bronze doors and entranceway that had been installed around 1935, and then replaced and lost in a later renovation of the building. The jury noted that the original design drawings by the architect, Benjamin Brown, were obtained from the Canadian Jewish Archives and they became the basis for the high-quality fabrication of the intricate metalwork detail. The jury felt the re-establishment of this prominent, original entry succeeds in communicating, at street-level, the contextual heritage value of this landmark building.
AWARD OF MERIT (SMALL PROJECT)
Toronto Bell Cote Sukyo Mahikari Centre for Spiritual Development
691 Scarlett Road
Commissioned by: Sukyo Mahikari Canada
Architectural/Design Firms: Takashi Tsuji Architect; William N. Greer
Craftspersons/Contractors: Heritage Mills Historic Building Conservation Inc.; Sonterlan Corp.; EGD Glass Studio
Thought to be the only wood-framed church in Toronto, this 1895 building was restored and repurposed for the Sukyo Mahikari Centre for Spiritual Development. The project included a new foundation and basement, steel framing, and wood restoration throughout. The jury noted this church was on the verge of collapse when Sukyo Mahikari undertook their thorough, sensitive rehabilitation and restoration; the comprehensive restoration and repurposing included a new foundation and basement, steel framing, wood restoration throughout, geo-thermal heating and cooling, an elevator, and barrier-free access. The jurors commended the project as an outstanding commitment to community heritage and sustainability.
HONORABLE MENTION (SMALL PROJECT)
Landing Stage, Ward’s Island
Commissioned by: City of Toronto
Architectural/Design Firm: Steven Burgess Architects
Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration Ltd.
The Landing Stage, erected in the early 1900s, was originally located at the Eastern Gap on Ward’s Island, as a shelter for passengers awaiting cruise boats. By the 1970s it had deteriorated so badly that it was taken down. When the Ward’s Island community decided to create a public square in partnership with Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation, the Landing Stage was recreated as a key component, using restored wrought iron pieces that had survived as well as replica pieces. The jury noted the Ward’s Island Landing Stage was one of the entry points to the Toronto Islands that represented a getaway and a place of recreation for Torontonians at the turn of the century, and was also a shelter for passengers awaiting cruise ships. The jurors appreciated the recreation of this late-Victorian bench and canopy, noting that they felt the intricate wrought-iron decoration of this elegant bench and canopy is an eloquent expression of the amusement park atmosphere and summertime activities that the Islands represented.
A Special Achievement Award was presented to John Berman, Jamie Goad, David Jackson, and Matthew Rosenblatt of Cityscape Development for their visionary plan that transformed the site of Gooderham and Worts Distillery. In 2001, a team from Cityscape Development led by Berman, Goad, Jackson and Rosenblatt purchased the desolate five hectare parcel, with the intention to transform it into a vibrant area for arts and culture while respecting the industrial built heritage. Faced with tremendous environmental, development and zoning challenges, Cityscape Development had, at one time, some 200 open permits covering their work. However, they forged ahead with creativity and determination, bringing on cultural heavyweights such as Artscape and Soulpepper Theatre early in the process. Dundee Realty (Dream) partnered with Cityscape in October of 2004 and has been integral in realizing the vision for the adaptive reuse of the Distillery.
For a complete list of winners and nominees, visit http://heritagetoronto.org/programs/heritage-toronto-awards/