March 26, 2009
by Canadian Architect
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) launched the EQuilibrium Sustainable Housing Demonstration Initiative in May 2006 to support the construction of homes that balance the needs of our built and natural environments. EQuilibrium homes bring together, under one roof, the principles of occupant health and comfort, energy efficiency, renewable energy production, resource conservation, reduced environmental impact and affordability.
Now, three new builder and developer teams in British Columbia and Atlantic Canada have been chosen to take part in the EQuilibrium initiative, bringing their visions for an energy-efficient, eco-friendly future to reality. The winning projects include:
* The Green Dream Home (Kamloops, BC) – a solar-powered home that is designed by the Canadian Home Builders’ Association (CHBA) Central Interior, and Thompson Rivers University (TRU) to take advantage of one of Canada’s sunniest cities;
* Harmony House (Burnaby, BC) – a two-storey ultra-efficient house with an in-law suite that is created by Habitat Design + Consulting Ltd. and Insightful Healthy Homes Inc. to suit the Lower Mainland’s unique climate; and
* The Moncton VISION Home (Moncton, NB) – a highly efficient home designed by AlternaHome Solutions Inc. and VISION Land Developments Ltd. This home is part of downtown Moncton’s “VISION Lands” development project.
When they are complete, these three projects will join the 12 other demonstration homes that are currently being planned, built or that are already open for visitors across the country, making the EQuilibrium initiative truly national in scope. Together, these homes offer Canadians a chance to see and learn first-hand about the objectives of EQuilibrium sustainable homes, including:
* lower monthly utility bills in every season
* a clean supply of renewable energy
* healthier, more comfortable living environments for occupants
* reduced waste, greenhouse gas emissions and energy consumption
* a resource-efficient housing alternative that protects and preserves the environment for future generations
For more information on the CMHC EQuilibrium Sustainable Housing Demonstration Initiative or to find a demonstration home near you, call CMHC at 1.800.668.2642 or visit www.cmhc.ca and type in the search keyword “EQuilibrium.” For more than 60 years, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) has been Canada’s national housing agency and a source of objective, reliable housing expertise.