May 20, 2016
by Canadian Architect
Jasper Place Library by HCMA Architecture + Design and DUB Architects. Photo courtesy of HCMA.
The Architectural Institute of British Columbia (AIBC) recognized 12 architectural projects and one emerging firm at the closing ceremony of the 2016 AIBC Annual Conference on May 18.
The Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia Awards in Architecture were established to recognize excellence in completed architectural projects led or designed by AIBC members. The awards were presented in the Burrard Foyer at the Vancouver Convention Centre West in four categories.
This year, two projects received the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia Award in Architecture – Medal:
- Telus Garden by Henriquez Partners Architects
- Guildford Aquatic Centre by Bing Thom Architects in joint venture with Shape Architecture
Seven projects by B.C. architects received the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia Awards in Architecture – Merit Level:
- York House Senior School by Acton Ostry Architects Inc.
- Centennial College Ashtonbee Campus Student Hub
- MNP Tower by the Musson Cattell Mackey Partnership in association with Kohn Pederson Fox
- Rough House by Measured Architecture Inc.
- Grandview Heights Aquatic Centre by HCMA Architecture + Design
- Jasper Place Library by HCMA Architecture + Design in joint venture with Dub Architects
- Fort McMurray Airport, International Airport Terminal by mcfarlane biggar architects + designers (project started at predecessor firm mcfarlane, green, bigger architecture and design.)
Recognizing achievements that are not strictly ‘architectural’, but that have a direct bearing on the future of architecture, one project received the AIBC Innovation Award in 2016:
- Surrey Operations Centre by Taylor Kurtz Architecture + Design Inc. and Rounthwaite, Dick & Hadley Architects
The AIBC Emerging Firm Award recognizes the development, success and contributions of emerging architectural firms and is given to those who have shown exemplary promise, clear vision and defined goals in the practise of architecture. In 2016, the award went to:
- marianne amodio architecture studio
The AIBC Special Jury Award is given for exceptional achievement, selected from all awards submissions and determined by the jury.
- Special Jury Award for Heritage Retention and Modernization awarded to Shaughnessy House by Measured Architecture Inc.
- Special Jury Award for Contextual Innovation went to 2211 Cambie by Arno Matis Architecture Inc. and Azurean Architecture
This year’s award-winning projects represent significant contributions in the area of green building, in addition to excellence in other areas of design.