January 15, 2010
by Canadian Architect
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2010 Green Toronto Awards, the City of Toronto’s environmental awards of excellence. The City of Toronto, in partnership with Green Living, invites residents to nominate local individuals, companies and organizations leading the way to a greener Toronto.
A winner in each of nine categories will receive an award and $5,000 to donate to a registered charity of their choice:
• Local Food — leadership in creating, managing and promoting local food.
• Community Projects — volunteers in action to green our neighbourhoods.
• Energy Conservation — systems and technologies which reduce and conserve energy.
• Environmental Awareness — leadership in raising eco-awareness.
• Green Design — leadership in innovative and sustainable green design and architecture.
• Green Roof — leadership in green roof and living wall projects.
• Leadership — individual leadership which transforms our environment.
• Water Efficiency — leadership in managing and reducing water use.
• Youth — Toronto youth (18 and under) leading by example.
The deadline for nominations is Friday, February 12, 2010. Nominations may be submitted online at www.toronto.ca/greentorontoawards.
“Torontonians are environmentalists by nature and we celebrate those who are making a real difference in our city,” said Mayor David Miller. “I encourage residents to make a nomination and help us recognize the individuals, organizations and companies that are leading the way to a greener, more liveable Toronto.”
The Green Toronto Awards ceremony will be hosted by Mayor David Miller and Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone on Friday, April 23, 2010 on the Main Stage at the Green Living Show, Direct Energy Centre, Exhibition Place.