May 1, 2009
by Canadian Architect
The 2009 Ottawa Urban Design Awards celebrate projects built in the city of Ottawa that exhibit urban design excellence. The awards will honour exceptional projects built in the city between September 1, 2007 and September 1, 2009. This is the third in the biannual awards program.
The winning submission in each of the categories will receive an Award of Excellence as the project that reflects good urban design principles and meets the judging criteria. Other entries in each category will be eligible to win an Award of Merit. The winning entries for the Awards of Excellence will be forwarded to compete nationally as part of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada’s 2010 Urban Design Awards Program.
Winning projects will:
* demonstrate design and architectural excellence
* demonstrate clear urban design intent
* contribute to the wider appreciation of urban design
* demonstrate a positive contribution to the public realm / quality of place
* contribute to the city’s environmental and ecological health (e.g. LEED designation)
* connect to their locality
* be important to pedestrian and liveability issues
* be innovative and trend setting
* be open to transformation
The submission deadline is August 20, 2009.
For more information, please visit www.ottawa.ca/urbandesignawards/