February 4, 2016
by Canadian Architect
Wood trusses feature prominently in Guildford Aquatic Centre, Surrey, British Columbia, by Bing Thom Architects and Shape Architecture (Associate Architect)
Canadian firms featured prominently amongst the award recipients for the prestigious 2015/16 International and North America Wood Design Awards program. Winning recipients were selected from over 140 entries by an esteemed architectural jury consisting of:
Special awards were granted by the Canadian Wood Council as well as this year’s sponsors, Sustainable Forestry Initiative and Western Red Cedar. Projects submitted to this year’s awards program pushed the boundaries of what is thought of as conventional applications for wood products – reaffirming wood’s versatility within construction. Both the International and North American projects displayed a well-articulated understanding of old and new techniques for wood in architecture.
The Award Recipients for the 2015/16 Wood Design Awards program are:
- Underhill, Matinecock, New York, Bates Masi + Architects LLC
- Stade de soccer de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Saucier + Perrotte architectes and Hughes Condon Marler Architects
- Guildford Aquatic Centre, Surrey, British Columbia, Bing Thom Architects, Shape Architecture (Associate Architect)
- Puukuokka Housing Block, Jyväskylä, Finland, OOPEAA Office for Peripheral Architecture
- Public Library of Constitucion, Constitución, Chile, Sebastian Irarrazaval Arquitectos
- Lightbox, Point Roberts, Washington, Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- Roy-Lawrence Residence, Sutton, Quebec, Chevalier Morales Architectes
- Fort McMurray International Airport, Fort McMurray, Wood Buffalo, Alberta, office of mcfarlane biggar architects + designers inc. Project commenced as predecessor firm mcfarlane green biggar Architecture + Design Inc.
- Toronto Public Library Scarborough Civic Centre Branch, Toronto, Ontario, LGA Architectural Partners and Phillip H. Carter architects in joint venture
- MEC Head Office, Vancouver, British Columbia, Proscenium Architecture + Interiors Inc.
- Fire Station 76, Gresham, Oregon, Hennebery Eddy Architects, Inc.
- World Intellectual Property Organization Conference Hall, Geneva, Switzerland, Behnisch Architekten
- PINCH Sweep Warp, Shuanghe Village, Yunnan Province, China, Hong Kong University Architecture students
- Old Main Academic Building Addition, Thompson Rivers University, Kamloops, British Columbia, Diamond Schmitt Architects, Stantec Architecture (Associate Architect)
- Whitetail Woods Regional Park Camper Cabins, Farmington, Minnesota, HGA Architects and Engineers
- Bar Raval,Toronto, Ontario, PARTISANS Architects
- Mont-Laurier Multipurpose Performance Hall, Mont-Laurier, Quebec, Les architectes FABG
- Nursery in Guastalla, Guastalla, Reggio Emilia, Italy, Mario Cucinella Architects
- Veneer House – Cogon Day School, Barangay Cogon, Balilihan Bohol, Philippines, Kobayashi Maki Design Workshop
- Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology Arts and Media Building, Nelson City, New Zealand, Irving Smith Jack Architects Ltd
- Dune House, Terschelling, The Netherlands, Marc Koehler Architects
- Guessing Agricultural School,Guessing, Austria, PICHLER & TRAUPMANN ARCHITEKTEN ZT GMBH
CANADIAN WOOD COUNCIL AWARDS
- Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum, Wembley, AB, Teeple Architects (Design Architect); Architecture Tkalcic Bengert (ATB) (Architect of Record); Reich + Petch Design International (Museum Consultant)
- MAZAMA House, Mazama, WA, FINNE Architects
Guildford Aquatic Centre, in Surrey, British Columbia, by Bing Thom Architects, Shape Architecture (Associate Architect)