Architecture and Design Film Festival Coming to Vancouver
New York City’s Architecture & Design Film Festival (ADFF) will launch in Vancouver, B.C. in November 2019 as ADFF Vancouver.
To make the official announcement, Vancouver festival producers Leah Mallen (co-founder, All In Pictures) and Anne Pearson (owner, Vancouver Special) will host a pre-launch event on November 14, 2018 alongside New York Festival Director Kyle Bergman. The event is being presented by ADFF Vancouver and The Vancouver Urbanarium Society in association with Michael Green Architecture.
The evening will feature the Vancouver premiere of the award-winning Strange and Familiar: Architecture on Fogo Island from directors Katherine Knight and Marcia Connolly that highlights the Fogo Island Inn by Canadian-born architect Todd Sanders.
Filmmakers will be in attendance.
Mallen, who produced the documentary Coast Modern (by Vancouverites Gavin Froome and Michael Bernard) which screened at ADFF New York, felt it was the right time to bring the festival home. “Vancouverites have proven to me to be great lovers of films about design, and many local filmmakers have also created great content about architecture and design,” she says. “This could be the start of a great incentive for filmmakers and designers to work together on films to showcase in this festival.”
“We hope to create a unique, entertaining event for Vancouverites, both inside and outside the design community,” adds Pearson, whose Vancouver Special design store has been a hub for the architecture and design community locally for 10 years. “We hope the festival will promote further interest in design and become a platform for insightful discussions, as well as a great social experience for the city.”
About the Architecture and Design Film Festival:
- Founded in 2009, the festival will be marking its 10th anniversary in 2019.
- Launched in New York City, it has satellite festivals globally in cities such as New Orleans and Athens. The Vancouver edition will be the first Canadian festival.
- The Festival has screened more than 300 films, including works about architects Eames, Neutra, Mendelsohn, Gehry, Lautner and many more.
About ADFF Vancouver:
- Will take place over 4 days in downtown Vancouver in November 2019.
- Will be open to the local design community as well as the general public.
- Approximately 15-20 films will be screened from a combination of Canadian and international filmmakers covering subjects related to architecture and design.
- Locally curated industry panels will be held over the course of the festival. The producers of ADFF Vancouver would also like to acknowledge the financial support of BattersbyHowat Architects, Evoke International Design, Leckie Studio Architecture, MGBA, Rostich Hemphill Architects, SALA (Leslie van Duzer Fund) and Shape Architecture.
Pre-Launch Event Details:
Date: Wednesday November 14, 2018
Venue: The Imperial, 319 Main St., Vancouver
VIP and Media reception: 5:00–6:30 p.m.
Screening: 7:00-8:00 p.m.
Filmmaker Q&A: 8:00-8:30 p.m.
After Party: 8:30-10:30 p.m.
General Admission: $10 (includes screening, after party and one drink ticket)
Ticket Order: Eventbrite