architectsAlliance restore and expand historic St. James Cathedral Centre in Toronto
Adjacent to the historic St. James Cathedral in downtown Toronto, the St. James Parish House is currently undergoing a long-awaited restoration and expansion. This comes at a time when the building, which has served the community since 1909, is in desperate need of repair. The last refurbishment of the three-storey building occurred over 50 years ago.
Over 10 years of planning has gone into the restoration and expansion. Designed by architectsAlliance with construction management by Dalton, the new Cathedral Centre – as the Parish House is now called – will ring in at 34,000 square feet, providing office space, meeting rooms, archives, housing for clergy, a kitchen, barrier-free access and beautifully landscaped surroundings.
Its revitalization will allow better delivery of services and outreach programs, warmly inviting staff and community partners to gather in comfortable accommodations. While the historic façade along Church and Adelaide Streets will be maintained, new construction featuring glass walls will increase visibility in the area facing St. James Park.
Scheduled for completion in 2011, the Centre will be designed as an inspiring, beautiful landmark for the neighbourhood.