2015 Urban Ideas Competition to re-energize and rejuvenate downtown Brampton
ULI Toronto, a District Council of the Urban Land Institute announces the 2015 Urban Ideas Competition, presented in partnership with the City of Brampton. This year’s competition calls for ideas to rejuvenate and reinvigorate the downtowns of smaller, established towns within the Greater Toronto Area, many of which have grown into larger commuter suburbs, and focuses on Downtown Brampton as an example. Cash prizes of over $6,000.00 will be awarded.
The guidelines for the competition challenge competitors to create a bold and compelling vision for a re-energized Downtown Brampton by imagining ideas for redevelopment centering on Main Street between Wellington Street and Theatre Lane. This open, one-stage competition seeks to identify proposals that:
• Define an innovative and comprehensive vision for Downtown Brampton and its surroundings, leading to rejuvenation of the existing downtown commercial street, dealing with existing storefront retail and new commercial/residential development alike
• Incorporate design solutions that provide safe and continuous pedestrian and cycle connections across and through the mobility hub created through intensification of the existing GO station and potential LRT and BRT transit corridors
• Develop and reinforce the existing streetscape along Main Street and create a network of public spaces be imagining development of the existing public lanes system and public spaces which adjoin and intersect it to create a re-energized public realm
• Provide an environmentally sustainable solution which can serve as an example to redevelopment of other smaller urban centres
Entry is open to any potential participant, and is not limited to design professionals; there will be a separate prize category for student entries in addition. Submissions by multi-disciplinary teams are encouraged. Anyone can participate, as long as the team lead is a ULI member.
Jury panel members will include:
• Matthew Blackett – Publisher, Creative Director, & Co-Founding Member, Spacing Magazine
• Jeff Casello – Associate Professor, Associate Dean, Undergraduate Studies, University of Waterloo School of Planning
• Joseph Cordino – Partner, Cityzen Development Group
• John Potter – Senior Advisor, Design Excellence, Planning & Policy, Metrolinx
• Don Naylor – Principal, Don Naylor + Associates Ltd. Landscape Architects
The closing date for submissions is Thursday November 12, 2015, followed by the awards event the week of November 23, 2015. A public exhibition of selected entries will be scheduled for November/December 2015 in Toronto and Brampton.
For more information, please visit http://toronto.uli.org/urban-ideas-competition.