2011 One of a Kind Spring Show wraps up this Sunday
In support of Canadian artists and designers, the One of a Kind Craft Community of Canada section will make its debut at this year’s spring show, from March 30 to April 3, 2011 at the Direct Energy Centre, Exhibition Place in Toronto. This special exhibit will feature one-of-a-kind creations by 10 finalists from art schools and cultural institutions across the country. The award-winning artisans received a grant (up to $750) and a display space at the show to help kickstart their careers.
For the majority of the artisans, the One of a Kind Show (OOAKS) marks an inaugural appearance where their hand-crafted pieces will be made available for the first time. The key categories represented are clothing, fashion accessories, jewellery, textiles, glass and ceramics. From British Columbia, two clothing designers will present delicately hand-knit sweaters in feminine silhouettes (Julie Pongrac) and oversized organic cotton scarves, featuring nature motifs (Georgina Russell). Home décor pieces include beautiful pillows with playful prints (Shuyu Lu, ON), a white ceramic wine pitcher and tumbler set shaped like a birch tree with a lime green insert (Chari Cohen, ON), stainless steel lamps with geometrical-printed shades (Caroline Gamiette, QC) and a placemat collection in bright colours with embroidered birds (Cathia Finkel, NL).
2011 Show Highlights
- An unprecedented 118 new artisans will be participating in the spring show.
- The Muskoka Artists Marketplace will make its first appearance with 16 artists and craftspeople, working in the areas of visual art, fine craft, photography, furniture, sculpture and textiles.
- Show-goers can cast their vote for their favourite OOAK tool made by participating artisans in the One of a Kind “Tooled to Perfection” Competition.
- Conducted by One of a Kind artisans, the Hands-On Workshop series will return at the spring show ($50 admission cost includes: materials, instruction, show admission, shopping bag and light breakfast).
- Daily prêt-a-porter fashion shows will feature of-the-moment fashions and accessories such as eco-friendly products, statement jewellery and gorgeous knitwear, to name a few.
About the Show
The One of a Kind Spring Show is Canada’s best show and sale of works by over 450 artists, designers and craftspeople. With a proud focus on home-grown talent for an interactive personal shopping experience like no other, the vast selection, on-site perks and endless show features make the show “destination shopping” at its best.
Shopping districts include: One of a Kind Flavours, One of a Kind Fashion District presented by Toronto Life, One of a Kind Green, One of a Kind Rising Stars and One of a Kind Outdoor. One of a Kind Art craft classes for kids are presented by DeSerres, and daily fashion shows feature womenswear, kids and style express accessory presentations. Special-guest speaking engagements will be given by media lifestyle experts. Other special services and show features include free parcel check and carry-out service directly to your car, and first-come first-served complimentary babysitting services.
Ticket prices for adults are $12 ($10 online); seniors and youth (aged 13-17) $6.50; and children (aged 12 & under) are admitted free of charge. The OOAKS takes place from Wednesday to Saturday from 10:00am-9:00pm, and Sunday from 10:00am to 6:00pm.
For more information, please visit www.oneofakindshow.com/toronto/.